Can You Use Essential Oils In A Humidifier? – Essential Facts
Essential oils are highly concentrated liquids extracted from plant flowers, stems, and leaves. They have a wide range of beneficial properties when used correctly. They can be inhaled, ingested, or applied on the skin. A popular way to use these essential oils is with a humidifier.
Can you use essential oils in a humidifier? Yes. However, certain types of humidifiers won’t work well with essentials. Check out the tips below to ensure proper usage.
Types of Humidifiers
You should be careful when using essential oils with humidifiers, especially when it comes to the specific type of humidifier you’re using. So can you use essential oils in a humidifier? Yes, but check for compatibility first.
Check out the common types of humidifiers below:
- Evaporative humidifiers depend on the process of evaporation. This type of humidifier is exceptionally efficient, requiring only a small amount of energy to cover large spaces. Because of its wicker filter technology, they can also get rid of pollen, dust mites, and pet dander in the air.
- Ultrasonic humidifiers operate under the principle of high-frequency oscillation. Instead of wicking filters, which are typical of evaporative humidifiers, they use a water tank. The oscillator inside the device generates water droplets and releases them into the room using a small fan.
Evaporative humidifiers should never be used with essential oils because the filter acts as a trap for any type of debris, including these oils. Instead of getting released into the air, essential oils will get filtered out.
On the other hand, you can use essential oils with ultrasonic filters as long as they’re not added into the water tank. Essential oils can corrode and damage the tank, rendering the humidifier useless. Instead, this type of humidifier usually comes with a diffuser tray where essential oils are placed for proper use.
How to Use Essential Oils in a Humidifier
Below are the steps that you need to follow:
- Remove the diffuser tray from the unit.
- Lay an essential oil pad on the tray.
- Place a few drops of your favorite essential oil onto the pad. Don’t put too much because oil buildup can damage the unit.
- Replace the tray, and enjoy it as the fantastic scent spreads around your room.
- Make sure that you turn off the unit after a couple of hours to avoid overworking the unit.
Can you use essential oils in a humidifier? Yes! However, you need to exercise proper caution and care to ensure that you don’t accidentally damage the unit. Ideally, it’s best to use essential oils with a diffuser. However, if you only have a humidifier, check the manufacturer’s instructions first before you start using it with essential oils. Learn more about humidifiers here.
February 5, 2021
By: Donna Alden
Good health starts inside your home. Germs and viruses will not thrive if you keep surfaces sanitized, cleaned, and disinfected regularly.
February 3, 2021
By: Annie Lexis
Being a parent is not easy. Before, you’re used to doing things, but now you can’t because you’re not just thinking about yourself anymore.
February 2, 2021
By: Daniel Rizzo
To relieve the dryness of skin, nasal congestion, and dry cough, people often use a humidifier. Aside from these, there are other advantages of using a humidifier in your household.