How Much Does A Refrigerator Weigh – The Weight Of An Empty Refrigerator
One of the bulkiest fixtures in your house is the refrigerator. Just by looking at it, you will know that it is heavy—very heavy. But exactly how much does a refrigerator weigh?
You got to know the numbers and the right way to move such a piece of heavyweight equipment.
How heavy is a refrigerator depends on its brand, size, and model. On average, a refrigerator can weigh 180 to 360 pounds. Here are some approximates:
- Full-size consumer kitchen refrigerators – 200 to 400 pounds
- French door and side-by-side refrigerators – 250 to 350 pounds
However, there are newer models that are lighter at about 220 pounds.
Let’s do some math. A regular fridge will weigh a little over 10 pounds for every cubic foot. So if your fridge measures ten cubic feet, it should be at least 100 pounds heavy.
However, it’s another case for some types of fridges, especially those that measure at least 24 cubic feet.
Moving A Refrigerator
Moving a heavy fixture, such as a refrigerator, is quite a challenge. You should know how to do it, or you risk injuring yourself, other people, or parts of your house.
There is a method on how to move your refrigerator safely:
- Empty the fridge. Take out every item inside your refrigerator. Never leave a single item there. A fridge is already heavy on its own. Imagine the items putting a little more weight!
Ask a friend or family member to store the contents until you’ve moved to your new place.
- Defrost your fridge. Make sure your fridge is clean and dry as you move it. Defrost the ice properly. Wipe down excess water and dirt. If you don’t, important parts and electronics may get wet while in transit. Don’t forget to unplug!
- Tape the door and shelves. A loose door is a hazard as you move a fridge out. It can swing around and hit other objects and people. Tape the door shut and even the shelves. Or you can take the shelves out to be safer.
For some, removing the door is the way to go. However, if you are not confident about unscrewing stuff, don’t do it. Just tape the door shut.
- Secure the wires. Use tape to prevent the cooling tubes and power cord from dangling on the floor while you’re moving the fridge.
- Load it gently. A refrigerator might look very tough with its exterior and weight. However, you still need to handle it with TLC. You can cover it with a bubble wrap or a soft sheet to avoid scratches on surfaces as you load and move it.
- Transport it vertically. As you know, important parts—compressors and cooling tubes—are on the back of the fridge. So, never lay a fridge down on its back when you’re transporting it. The weight will damage its parts. Laying the refrigerator is safe during a short move.
The best way is to keep the fridge vertical in your truck, especially if you are taking a long drive. Secure it on its place. It is more stable that way.
Considering how much does a fridge weigh, you cannot do this all alone. Ask for help or call in professional movers to ensure the safe transport of your heavyweight appliances.
How much does a refrigerator weigh depends on size and type. Approximately, it weighs around 180 to 350 pounds! Move it safely by following the steps we provided. Have a team to do it with you. A heavy task is lighter with extra hands on the job.