Have you ever dreamed of becoming an appliance repair technician? If you have, then you have come to the right place! Learning how to become an appliance repair technician is not complicated, but it requires you to enroll in a vocational or trade program. Some specializations may require a complete apprenticeship program, additional training, or certification, like those that work with appliances using hazardous material.
Who can be an Appliance Repair Technician?
Technicians are responsible for ensuring that the machinery is operating safely and efficiently. They repair and perform maintenance on a wide variety of household and commercial appliances, and they should be experts in handling many types of appliances. Additional certification is an edge, as it may increase your earning potential. Others may want to be a doctor or a lawyer, but there are people who like to tinker and wants to be a repair technician. If you are one of them, you might be wondering how to become an appliance repair technician. Read on to find out.
There is an old popular joke that says, “Is your refrigerator running?”. In serious and realistic situations, the primordial thing you should do is call an appliance repair technician.
An appliance repair technician has various duties; however, their main task is more on installing, adjusting, and repairing any number of home or commercially used appliances. Most often, if you want to learn how to become an appliance repair technician, you will work on refrigerators, ovens, washing machines, clothes dryers, and sometimes, microwaves and vacuum cleaners. The most important things that you should remember are the following: know how to diagnose a problem, locate repair parts, have the knowledge to install them properly, and be knowledgeable in the use of hand tools.
Responsibilities of a Repair Technician
Don’t just wonder how to become an appliance repair technician. You have to consider a training program that will teach you the basics, such as a professional certificate program, if you are finally decided on becoming an appliance repair technician. But if you would like some additional training and improve your chances of getting a higher salary, you may want to consider an online associate degree program. You can get them from either two of the most popular accolades – The National Appliance Service Technician Certification (NASTeC) and the Professional Service Association’s (PSA). An associate degree program may also require a general education curriculum.
There are various educational opportunities offered through online programs on how to become an appliance repair technician. You may find a program specializing in small appliances or those specializing in larger appliances, such as in heating and air conditioning repair, depending on your choice or preference. Testing electrical appliances, gas control systems, replacing broken circuitry, diagnostic testing, common tool repair, procedures for ordering repair parts, thermodynamics, preventative maintenance procedures, customer relations, safety, and legal and ethical standards are just a few of the topics that the general coursework for home appliance repair.
Becoming an appliance repair technician needs certain key skills. it is a must that you are mechanically minded. Technicians are blessed to have the ability to understand how a product is put together and how it works. Critical and listening skills are of utmost importance. You must be fast in making accurate decisions while successfully managing time constraints and troubleshooting problems. A driver’s license is also a must, as you would definitely need to drive to other places to repair clients’ appliances. Completion of a certificate or associate degree program in Appliance Repair can provide you with an entry-level position upon graduation.
Becoming a Repair Technician
We have gathered these basic steps on how you can become an appliance repair technician:
- Research a school or a training program that offers this course. Besides choosing a school that would fit your course and training needs, researching it is also essential to know how authenticated are the courses offered and consider the quality of education. As a student, you need to be assured of the quality, interest, and passion set in to be successfully trained in becoming an appliance repair technician.
- Seek vocational or technical training. It is highly recognized that vocational training may be very attractive to employers since it’s skill-oriented. These students are introduced to tools used in trade, plumbing, and carpentry studies and training in electrical wiring, refrigeration, and combustion. This makes you stand out from the others when you apply for the job in the long run.
- Obtain certification. Most appliance operators must be certified due to the strict federal laws involving the safe handling of appliances. It is a requirement that you pass exams on topics involving appliance repair, like covering ozone depletion and refrigeration leak, for example.
- Seek for internship opportunities. As your steps towards becoming an appliance repair technician continue, you should also be able to find a company for your internship where you can apply the skills you’ve learned as well as learning from other professional technicians. An internship is one of the best learning experiences that you can do to gain more knowledge and application on the course.
- Look for a job in a reputable company. Many technical schools provide appliance technician training that can facilitate students’ job placement since many appliance technicians are trained in the job. Moreover, there are also available jobs in small repair businesses and larger companies’ maintenance divisions that appliance repair technicians can apply for.
- Pursue continuing education. It is essential to pursue continuing education to keep your skills updated to equip yourself better and adapt to the ever-changing appliances due to changes in technology.
We hoped that this article helped you in going for that dream of becoming an appliance repair technician! Remember that venturing on how to become an appliance repair technician is not a walk in the park. But, with dedication and hard work, you can surely fulfill that dream job of yours. Find out more about repairing appliances.