How To Clean An Electric Coil Stove Top
Coil stoves are popular among homeowners thanks to their self-cleaning features. However, it is unavoidable to have spills, burnt, and other food particles accumulate over time. If you want to keep your coil stove in top shape, you also have to do regular checks and cleaning routines. In this way, you can easily avoid this gunk to penetrate and possibly cause your coils to malfunction. How to clean electric coil stove top is not as hard as you might be thinking. Follow the complete guide below and keep your coil stove in pristine condition all the time.
Preparing your Coil Stove Top
- Use a damp cloth to wipe down your stovetop. Make sure to reach all nooks and crannies, getting rid of first layer food particles that might have collected in between the coils and the stove surface. Use lint-free material since any remaining lint can burn and produce an unpleasant smell when cooking.
- How to clean electric coil stove top begins by turning on the coil stove and setting it to the highest temperature. Doing so will naturally burn any dirt or gunk in the coils. Electric stoves are designed to self-clean through this process. Expect smoke to rise, so turning off your smoke detector or opening a window is necessary. Once the smoke clears, that’s an indication that the stove is done cleaning. However, don’t expect to get rid of everything. Some stubborn gunk might still be lurking in the coils. So you need to prepare them for deep cleaning later on. Turn off the burner once done and let it cool before proceeding to the next step.
- Once the burners are cool enough to handle, remove them from the stove. The coils are generally easy to remove from the stove. However, some coils have fasteners or lock to keep them in place. Check your user manual to properly remove them. You can also check online sources to help you with this process.
Deep Cleaning your Burners
- Use a damp rag to scrub clean your coil burners. However, make sure that the electric connector does not get wet in the process. Use warm water to rinse a clean rag and wipe down the burner, wringing out excess water. If your coil is extra dirty, try to rinse it with soapy water as you scrub. When done, wipe everything down with a lint-free and clean cloth.
- If soapy water does not remove stubborn gunk effectively, how to clean electric coil stove top can use a cleaning agent and a scouring sponge. Bar Keeper’s Friend is one of the most popular and effective cleaning solutions you can try. Sprinkle an adequate amount of your cleaner over the coil burners. Then damp your sponge and scrub until all particles are removed.
- Baking soda is also an effective cleaning agent on how to clean electric coil stove top. Mix a half cup of baking soda and 3-4 tablespoons of water, creating a thick paste. Rub the solution directly on the burners and let sit for 20 minutes. When time is up, remove the excess baking soda using a clean damp rag. This solution is also effective in cleaning the entire stove, including the areas beneath the coils.
- Clean your cooktop by using soap water and a clean rag. You can also use your excess baking soda mixture for a deeper and better clean. Make sure to avoid any electric sockets or cords. If some food particles are a bit hard to remove, use a rubber or plastic one to gently scrub them off.
- Towel dry all the parts and reassemble the coils to the stovetop. Make sure all parts are connected properly to prevent cooking issues. Turn on your electric stove and check if it's working properly. You now have a clean stove you can enjoy.
Electric Coil Stove Top Maintenance
- Most food particles are collected on the drip pan when cooking. This mostly gets the pan dirty and accumulates gunk and grease pretty quickly too. To save yourself from cleaning and scrubbing every day, opt to use pan liners. These are available at your local supermarkets and are effective in catching drips and dirt. After cooking, just remove them and give your drip pan a quick wipe.
- Regular cleaning and wiping can prevent buildup. If you see any drips and spills, clean them right away. This ensures your electric coil stovetop remains in good working condition while looking all clean and tidy.
- Make it a habit to give your stovetop a deep clean once a month. Although regular cleaning can help and minimize the work, a deep clean will ensure that all buildup and grease are removed thoroughly.
How to clean electric coil stove top can help you maintain and keep your cooking appliance in good working condition. Over time, signs of use like discoloration and buildup can cause your coils to work less effectively. Keeping a good maintenance routine will ensure you can enjoy it more for the years to come. Here's how to learn more about cleaning appliances.
May 7, 2021
By: Annie Lexis
Electricity is a must nowadays for every household. It makes most of our appliances run and function, giving us both convenience and comfort.
May 6, 2021
By: Donna Alden
Wiring an outlet for an electric stove isn’t the same as wiring standard outlets, because along with the water heater, furnace, and central air system, the stove is a high-demand appliance that runs on 240-volt power.