How To Convert Electric Stove To Gas: DIY Guide
Electricity is a must nowadays for every household. It makes most of our appliances run and function, giving us both convenience and comfort. However, it can cost a huge chunk of your budget, depending on how many appliances you use and how often you use them. Thus, knowing how to convert electric stove to gas will help you minimize your expense, helping you save more on your electric bills.
Some people also opt to convert from electric to gas since they prefer cooking with gas rather than electricity. A gas stove produces more heat needed for quick cooking. How to convert electric stove to gas is not as hard as you might have imagined. As long as you already have a working gas line, transitioning will be a breeze.
Transitioning from Electric to Gas
Before deciding to purchase a gas stove, make sure your home is ready for the transition. If you do not have a gas line ready, contact your local gas providers to help you make the switch. A visit will also help you determine the work that needs to be done in order for you to have a working gas stove.
A gas provider can provide and prepare a gas line for you, as long as your property is near a gas source. However, if a gas line is not available, you can also opt to transition to propane as well. Propane is also natural gas, and to transition, you only need to purchase a conversion kit, a tank, and a line to connect your stove.
How to convert electric stove to gas will require the help of professionals such as an electrician and plumber. The electrician will prepare the line by changing the electrical outlet of the stove from 240V to 110V. Since a gas stove would still need some electricity, this step is needed. Also, the typical plug of a gas stove won’t fit that of the electric.
On the other hand, the plumber makes sure that all connections for the gas line are leak-proof. They also have more knowledge of building rules for gas use. So they can prepare your unit accordingly.
If gas isn’t an option, as mentioned above, you can also opt to use propane. Contact your local plumber to install the line and to give you an overview of restrictions regarding propane use. Your city might require you some permit to have propane installed in your home. The building contractor can also help you with all the paper works you need to prepare.
The Cost of Conversion
Generally, how much you need to pay for conversion depends on how near or far you are from the gas line. If you have an existing and working line, a typical budget for a 10' extension will range from $150 and $200. If you need a longer 20' to 30' extension, you need to spend approximately $300 and $750. Stove connectors also cost around $600 and $700. That said, the average cost, including professional fees on how to convert electric stove to gas is around $2,000.
Why Transition from Electric to Gas
- If you are unsure whether to convert from electric to gas, here are a few advantages of doing the switch:
- Gas is generally cheaper than electricity. Even APS and SRP also utilize gas to generate electricity.
- The price of gas stays almost the same, with a few fluctuating rates, for the entire year. However, electricity increases the rate per kilowatt-hour during the summer days. So cooking in the summer using a gas stove can greatly reduce electrical expenses.
- Electric stove burners take a longer time to heat up and cool down, unlike the gas stove. Gas provides you with immediate heat when you need it. When you turn it off, the burner instantly stops creating heat too. For an electric one, it might take a few minutes for the burners to cool completely.
- The fee for how to convert electric stove to gas might need a bit of a budget; however, in the long run, it will save you more money rather than continuously using your electric stove.
- If you are a cooking enthusiast, a gas stove will give you more temperature control compared to an electric one. Since gas stoves use a flame, you can cook a number of different dishes, expanding your cooking range.
Pros and Cons of Switching to Gas
- Switching from electric to gas will help you save on electric expenses. This is because gas is cheaper to produce than electricity.
- Using natural gas is also energy-efficient. So it would require less energy to cook food or power your appliance.
- Using natural gas is also more environmentally-friendly. Gas produces less carbon dioxide and oil compared to other energy sources.
- Natural gas is abundant.
- Conversion is expensive.
- Although abundant, natural gas is still a finite and non-sustainable energy source.
- Gas is highly flammable. That is why many states and cities have strict rules when using natural gas in your household.
If you want to save on electric costs, especially during the hot days, learning how to convert electric stove to gas will definitely do the trick. It is a more practical way to enjoy cooking. However, you have to realize that conversion is not cheap. Also, learn the different rules and regulations of your locale regarding the use of natural gas. Overall, more and more households switch from electric to gas due to its many benefits. Here's how to learn more about how to use appliances.
November 6, 2020
By: Donna Alden
What best way to wake up your nerves in a chilly Monday morning or end a long tiring day than a warm, long, and relaxing bath? A water heater is a convenient addition to the bathroom to heat your faucet water.
November 5, 2020
By: Donna Alden
Electric stoves and gas stoves differ in terms of operation. But basically, they produce the same heat intensity that varies slightly depending on different contributing factors.
November 4, 2020
By: Mira Paul
A clean and pristine electric stovetop is necessary in order to provide the best meals for your family. A dirty surface can lead to bacteria buildup