How To Install Microwave Oven
Microwave ovens are one of the many home appliances that provide convenience for your food on-the-go. Installing a microwave oven in your kitchen is an easy task, and even an average person can do it. If you need to do it yourself, you will need a couple of necessary tools and some tips on how to install a microwave oven.
Steps to Install a Microwave Oven
Knowing how to install a microwave oven seems intimidating, especially if it's your first time. A typical microwave oven usually includes a mounting bracket, templates, and instruction manual to facilitate easy installation. A few hours of work won't be too bad as long as you have your space ready to install your appliance. Here is a breakdown to specify the process and guide you step-by-step:
- Tape measure
- Stud finder
- Drill and bits
- Level tool
- Eye protector
- Ratchet wrench and sockets
- Tin snipper
- Masking tape
- Metal foil tape
Step 1. Find the wall studs.
The first thing to consider on how to install a microwave oven is finding the studs on the wall. First, you have to find the mounting strip which supports the microwave's back portion. After seeing it, make sure that it is secured to wall studs. Use a pencil to mark the level to extend the lines on the wall.
Step 2. Paper template application.
Using masking tape, apply the template on the wall where you will be placing your oven. Upon purchasing the oven, you will be provided with two paper templates placed against the back wall and the bottom of the cabinet's upper portion.
Step 3. Drill the holes.
Locate the second template on the upper part of the cabinet to know how to drill holes.
Step 4. Cutting the openings for the vent.
Using a jigsaw, you need to cut an opening in either the rear wall template or the upper cabinet's bottom. Adjusting the oven's venting feature might be needed before putting the oven in place.
Step 5. Mounting bracket installation.
Refer to the manufacturer's directions to position and mount the metal bracket on the back wall. The strip needs to be connected at the location of the studs. Secure the strip to at least one wall stud.
Step 6. Position the unit
Lift the oven in its proper place. Hold up the weight of the oven while reaching around back. Then, hook the oven's slots over the tabs on the oven’s mounting bracket.
Step 7. Attach the mounting bolts.
While steadying and holding up your appliance, you need to check the upper cabinet and thread the bolts down through the drilled holes. Once they are threaded, you can let the microwave go. Make sure that the screws are tightened.
Step 8. Connect the duct.
The last step on how to install a microwave oven involves connecting the oven's vent outlet to the ductwork. You may be needing some form of transition fitting. This time, you can plug the oven to test it.
Some Ideas on Where to Install Your Microwave Oven
- Placing it over the range - This style is ideal if you have a smaller kitchen. Installing your oven in this area saves you more kitchen space because it is tucked flawlessly over your stove.
- Upper shelf option - You can also tuck your microwave oven to a shelf, making it a part of your upper cabinet. It would be best if you plan it very well so as not to destroy your kitchen design. It would help if you also consider the outlet where you will be plugging the oven.
- Lower shelf area - The same concept applies when you put your oven on the shelf; the difference is that it will be located in a lower cabinet this time. Note that you will be required to bend down a bit when operating the microwave when you place it in this area. It is not space-saving at the same time.
- Placing it inside the drawer - This type of drawer must be intended for microwave oven only. There are types of microwave ovens that can be discreetly hidden in your accessible cabinets. It is easy to use because you will only be making a bit of sliding to operate it.
- Wall oven stacking - It is ideal for larger kitchens. You can install your microwave oven over your wall oven to make your wall more fantastic while having an adequate access level when operating it.
Like doing any project that involves installation, make sure to prepare all the needed materials before installing a microwave oven to avoid the hassle. If you are not sure what to do, you can always ask someone to help you. Knowing the steps on how to install a microwave oven makes your job easier and faster. Here's how to learn more about kitchen appliances.
April 3, 2021
By: Mira Paul
If you’re shopping for a new appliance, you may have noticed that some microwaves offer a convection option that allows you to bake, roast, and more.
April 2, 2021
By: Daniel Rizzo
Microwave is one of the most commonly used electronic appliances these days. Microwave ovens are easy to use, take less space, and fulfill several purposes.