Lock picking is technically considered wrong and against the law. However, when you bump into technical difficulties at home, this skill can actually come in handy. We cannot deny the fact that being forgetful is a natural human trait. If you forget or misplace your important keys, lock picking can save you the hassle of destroying such a lock. For instance, how to pick a tubular lock on a washing machine can help save your time and effort, giving you easy access to your accumulated quarters.
When you forget when you last placed your tubular key, the next option you have is to pick the lock or drill it out. Most locks can be drilled open using a piloted hole saw. There are also specialized tubular key lock saws that are designed for this specific job. However, if you think you can still find the keys somewhere, opt for a tubular pick instead. How to pick a tubular lock on a washing machine is not an easy skill to learn. But with constant practice, you’ll surely get your way through.
Picking a Tubular Lock
Here’s how to pick a tubular lock on a washing machine:
- Check the lock, making sure that it is free from any obstructions or clogs.
- Get your tubular pick and ensure that the needles can move freely by sliding them back and forth.
- Push the needles to the end of the pick, and press the end to a hard and flat surface where the needles become in line with the end of the pick. Use the collar and “O” rings to adjust the hardness of the needles. Tighten the collar according to your preference. The general rule is, the more you tighten the collar, the greater the tension. Additionally, the more you loosen the collar, the lesser the tension gets.
- Insert the tubular pick into the lock. Doing so enables the needles to lock in the individual shear lines.
- Try to move the pick a few inches at a time. This adjusts the needles to the shear line. While doing so, carefully tighten the collar to increase tension. Move the needles until they lock in position. Once all needles are trapped in the individual shear lines, you can pick open the lock.
- Once picked, tighten the collar to keep the needles steady. You could use the needles to make a new key if you lost your existing one.
Picking the Lock Correctly
If you still find how to pick a tubular lock on a washing machine a bit hard to follow, keep in mind these simple tips for picking tubular locks:
- Carefully tighten the collar. Applying too much force can cause the needles to break.
- Make sure that the tubular pick is perpendicular to your lock. In case of misalignment, remove the pick and start again.
- Clean all parts of the tubular pick to ensure a good working condition.
- How to pick a tubular lock on a washing machine depends on the make and model of your appliance. Thus, you need to identify and learn the kind of lock used in your washing machine. Once you identified the lock, learn the basics, and try to look it up online. You might also need a specialized tubular pick for it. Another way to know the type of lock you have is through your manufacturer’s website. Everything you need to know about your appliance can be found there.
- As the cliché goes, practice makes perfect. This is also true when using tubular picks. Lock picking is a skill you cannot perfect overnight. Thus, with patience and dedication, you will surely get your way through eventually. Everything you need to know, including videos and picture instructions are readily available online. Take time to study them and practice.
- If all your attempts fall short, contact a local locksmith. They can help you open the tubular locks in no time. You can also ask them for tips in case the incident happens again. Since lock picking can be illegal, they might need to ask you to show some documents as proof that you are the genuine owner of the device you want to be opened.
- Another safe way to unlock your washing machine is to contact your manufacturer. They have all tubular picks available for all their products. Also, they know how the appliance generally works, eliminating any risks of possibly causing damage to your washing machine. Find out more about appliance maintenance.
Knowing how to pick a tubular lock on a washing machine is a useful skill that will come in handy when the need arises. However, make sure to do it in legal terms. Never attempt to open any locks that are not your own, since it might cause you some trouble. Also, when practicing, never try it on unauthorized devices. Always be mindful of how you use your lock picking skills to save you from troubles.