How To Reset A Dell Desktop Computer Without Password
Forgetting passwords can get in the way of logging in to online, even offline accounts and devices. So what do you do when you get locked out of your old computer because you forgot the password?
Keep on reading to know how to reset a Dell desktop computer without password.
Steps For A Factory Reset
You should know that resetting your computer to its factory setting will delete everything in your hard drive. Once you’re done with the factory reset, your computer will be back to what it was when you took it out of its box. It will be best to back up your files.
To reset your Dell laptop (Windows 10/8), follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer.
- When the log-in screen appears, locate the ‘Power’ icon. It is on the lower right corner of the screen. Click the icon.
- When a selection appears, press and hold the ‘Shift’ key on your keyboard while clicking ‘Restart.’
- The computer will then restart, and the Troubleshooting Options screen will appear.
- Click ‘Reset Your PC.’
- Click ‘Next’ for your device to start rebooting. It will prepare to reset your PC.
- A ‘Reset Your PC’ screen will appear. Click ‘Just Remove My Files’ then click ‘Reset.’
How To Recover Password
Good news! There are ways to recover your lost password. Some programs and tools can help solve the dreaded ‘Dell computer forgot password’ problem.
Recover Password on Safe Mode
If the program installed on your Dell PC/laptop is Windows XP, you can easily do this. In Windows XP, there is a default account named ‘Administrator’ with a blank password. With the ‘Administrator’ account, you can reset your account’s password easily.
Here are the steps:
- Repeatedly press the F8 key when Windows start until Advanced Boot Options screen appears.
- Choose Safe Mode, then press Enter key.
- The Administrator Account will appear on the log-in screen.
- Click Next. No need to enter any password as the password for this account is blank.
- Go to Control Panel, and reset the password of any user account.
Reset Password U
sing Recovery Programs
Another way on how to reset a Dell computer password is to use password recovery tools. Here are the steps.
- Insert a USB device on the PC.
- Download the tool of your choice and install it on a separate PC. You may download a trial version.
- Create a password reset disk. Your options: USB Device or CD/DVD. Click ‘USB Device.’
- Choose the flash drive from the drop list. Click ‘Begin Burning.’
- When the screen prompts that burning is successful, unplug the USB device from the PC.
- Insert the USB device to the Dell PC or laptop where you intend to recover your password.
- Then set the Dell PC to boot from the USB drive. Restart the PC.
- When the password recovery program launches, a list of user accounts on your Dell PC will appear. Select the account you’re trying to recover.
- Click ‘Reset’ and change its password to blank.
Instructions on how to recover or reset your password may vary depending on the program you are using.
There, how to reset a dell desktop computer without password is possible. And if you do not want to go back to factory setting, there are ways to reset your user account password. If you still encounter PC problems related to this, it might be best to consult a technician or a programmer.
October 8, 2020
By: Daniel Rizzo
Moving is not easy, especially if you have a lot of heavy valuables to transport. Work-related stuff, like personal computers, could be very delicate and can be prone to breakage during the transportation.
October 8, 2020
By: Mira Paul
Are you having a hard time setting up your newly bought PC? It can get so confusing and overwhelming for newbies to deal with techy stuff.
July 7, 2020
By: Donna Alden
With technology, the possibilities of repurposing and assembling stuff are endless. Do not be quick to throw old devices into the bin.