Are you having a hard time setting up your newly bought PC? It can get so confusing and overwhelming for newbies to deal with techy stuff. But don’t worry, this article will save your day! Read until the end to know how to set up a desktop computer step by step.
Can All Computer Brands be Set Up the Same Way?
Desktop computers have become an essential part of people’s daily lives. It’s a great companion for those who work in an office, at home as an online freelancer, and even for students. But if you’re a new PC mom or dad, you are really to face the challenge on how to set up a desktop computer.
Some brands don’t provide a manual on how to set up a new desktop computer. But don’t worry, most brands (except for iMac) can be set up similarly. Most brands have the same size of cable wires and cable ports, except for those wireless desktops.
In the next part of this article, you will learn the step-by-step process on how to set up a desktop computer.
Step-by-Step Set-Up Process
Before you can enjoy your new PC, you do have to set it up. But to avoid future problems, you must follow the right steps on how to set up a desktop computer.
- The Unboxing. Of course, when your PC is brand new, you need to take it out from its box. Be careful because some of its parts are too fragile, including the monitor screen. You don’t want to damage your pc too early. Also, slowly pull off the plastic covers on each item, and put them first in a safe low-level place before you transfer them to your desk.
- Find a safe and comfortable location for your desktop. You can use any available desk in your office or at home. You do want to make sure that it’s out of reach from your children or your pets.
- After you have placed your computer in a safe place, you can now start to assemble it. First, you have to connect your monitor to your computer case. To do this, find your monitor cable, and plug one end in the monitor. The other should be connected on the monitor port on the computer case. But if you have a problem identifying which is your monitor cable from the rest of the cables that come with your computer, you can look for it on the manual.
- It’s time to connect your keyboard. Check for your keyboard and look for a cable attached to it. Connect the keyboard cable into the computer case. But first, you have to identify if your keyboard uses either a USB connector or just a regular round one. This is to know which port is compatible with your keyboard cable.
- For the mouse, you also have to identify what kind of connector it uses. If it uses a USB connector, plug it to any available USB port on your computer case. If it uses a normal connector, connect it to a green port at the back of your computer case.
- There is also an available audio port at the back of your computer case for your external speakers, headphones, and microphones. Check your manual for the color-coded ports to know where you will connect your external audio devices.
- Of course, to turn your new PC on, you need to have a power supply. Your unit comes with power cables for your monitor and computer case. Find one for each. Plug one power cable into your computer case and the other on your monitor. After that, you can plug them into a surge protector, and your surge protector should be plugged into your regular power outlet.
- Lastly, turn on the switch for your surge protector. But if yours doesn’t have a switch, you can now turn on your computer.
Those are the most basic and easiest steps on how to set up a desktop computer.